Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten years.

Ten years is a decade. A lot can happen in ten years. I remember ten years ago on this day. I was nine, and I was in the fourth grade. I remember waking up, and seeing the towers fall on television. My mom was scared, my teacher was scared, my principal was scared. I didn't get it. Two towers fell, a couple planes crashed. In a fourth graders mind, it didn't seem like such a big deal. I didn't know what terrorism was, or what the twin towers were for that matter. I had no idea that people could be so cruel because they didn't believe in our freedom. I didn't understand the idea of hatred to that degree. I knew that I hated tomatoes and homework, but not enough to cause hurt to those who loved those things.

As the years have gone by, the pain and fear from that morning have slowly become apart of our everyday lives. I remember that first year, recollecting everyday what happened on that morning, and slowly as I became older, I began to put the pieces together, and that morning slowly began to make more sense to me. It's crazy to me that it was ten years ago. A lot has happened since that day. I have graduated high school, witnessed many national disasters and a war. I have learned more about this world than what I had known at age nine. It's crazy how life moves on after such a big event. It takes time, and courage but it happens. Nothing compares to the patriotism that occurred after the attack. There was a flag in every window, funds being raised to support the troops, food drives, t-shirts, you name it, everything had an American flag.

Ten years goes fast. We move on, but never forget. So on this day, don't forget. Don't let life get in the way. Take a moment to dwell on the fact that we are free, that we are blessed enough to live in a nation were we can do what we want. Take a moment today to thank God for the hero's that sacrificed their lives so that others may live. Take a moment to pray for the families whose lives were directly effected by the attacks. Take a moment. When was the last time you did that in these past ten years? September 11th isn't just a day anymore. It hasn't been for the past ten years. It's a day to remember. So today, do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment