Monday, August 29, 2011

Crazy Love

It’s been a while but I’m just going to jump into it today. I have been reading this book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan, an intelligent and challenging man on a mission for God. This book is truly awesome and inspiring but sometimes I just can’t seem to pick it up. Honestly, I don’t know why. I’ve been reading it since the middle of summer, and usually it takes me a few days to finish a book of this size, and of this importance, but some of the thoughts are so profound, they need some dwelling upon. One thought in particular comes from page 94 of this little red book. Chan begins by asking, “What does God mean by love?” Then uses 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, 13.

   

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends… faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

What Chan said in the book was that he was challenged to replace his name with the word love. So I was like hmm, I wanna do that too. So I did and it sounded like this:
    “Colbie is patient and kind; Colbie does not envy or boast; she is not arrogant or rude.”

And so on… but seriously try it, replace love for your name. It doesn't sound right does it? Chan says, “by the end, don’t you feel like a liar? If I am meant to represent what love is, then I often fail to love people well.”

I’m pretty sure the only word that fits in place of love is God. Try it again with God in place of love. Sounds a lot better, huh? So this is my challenge to myself, and anyone who reads these posts. Try to live like that verse, like God does. Challenge yourself to be patient, and kind, and not irritable or resentful. Challenge yourself, to live more like God. I’m done being content with my spiritual well being, I’m ready to be radical, because I have a radical God with some sort of crazy love for me.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog post Colbie! I like how you write.

    "I’m ready to be radical, because I have a radical God with some sort of crazy love for me."

    Nice.

    ReplyDelete