Thursday, January 5, 2012

20 Seconds of Courage

Yes, I stole that title from the new movie, We Bought a Zoo. But I had to. It pertains so perfectly to what I want to enlighten you with tonight. In this movie, the dad explains to the son that it takes 20 seconds of courage to change your life. The father's explanation to this reasoning was the fact that it took him 20 seconds to introduce himself to the woman who would one day become his wife. In turn, the son takes this amazing advice and has his own 20 seconds where he tells the girl that he loves, that he in fact, loves her. Say it with me now, AWHHHHHHH.

Ya, so I examined my own life. I came up with so many 20 seconds in my life. I guess you could say that I am pretty courageous. HA. Ya right, I'm afraid of snakes, what's courageous about that?

Well, then, I started to dig a little deeper and ask my self, "Self, what in my life takes courage?" Then it came to mind, sharing my faith. Sharing my faith is something that requires a lot of courage. I mean it shouldn't, I'm passionate about my faith and my love for Jesus, but it's scary to approach some one who is not. Sometimes, people don't really respond the way that you would hope.

So then, I was thinking, you know how the dad was speaking to the son, well I pictured my heavenly father speaking to me. Colbie, just 20 seconds. 20 seconds to change someones life, not just for love, but for unfailing love. For undeserved love. For perfect love. How crazy does 20 seconds sound now? 20 seconds is what it takes to introduce some one, some stranger to love that is incomprehensible.

This winter break I went to San Diego Winter Conference with Cru. It was there that we had a day of faith where we sent messages on facebook to people on our campus to initiate spiritual conversations. It was there that I took many steps of courage, and let God lead the way. Do you know how long it takes to press send? 1 second. So it looks to me like there's 19 seconds left. Looks to me like there's 19 more send buttons to press. Let God give you the courage to press send. See what happens. I promise, God won't let you down. That's just not his style.

No comments:

Post a Comment